The Dragon & The Beaver
Mrs Monica YUEN Chief Executive and Secretary
In keeping with our mission to advance the engineering profession at all levels, 2018 revealed a strong subtext to our efforts with three clear strands of understanding, bonding and driving innovation. This was evident from the very start of the year in January, with a Forum to facilitate better understanding of the development of the construction industry, a bonding meeting with the Tuen Mun District Council and our Forum on Innovation and Technology. We maintained this momentum at a relentless pace throughout the year with the "Smart Tomorrow, Engineers' Motto" Programme in April, our attendance at The 20th Annual Convention of the China Association for Science and Technology in May and the launch of the HKIE Engineer Cadet Club Programme in June. We gained greater understanding of the Belt and Road, pushed for quality STEM education and engineering promotion in schools, and rewarded innovative thinking and creativity at all levels.
Highlights of 2018
- The HKIE Forum on Hong Kong Construction 2.0 was organised on 15 January 2018 to foster better understanding of the infrastructural development of Hong Kong in the coming decades.
- The Tuen Mun District Council paid a courtesy visit to the Institution on 18 January 2018.
- The first HKIE New Members' Reception cum Prize Presentation was held on 26 January 2018 at the Hong Kong Club. Various awards were presented.
- The HKIE Strategy and Development Day was held on 27 January 2018. Young and experienced members from different disciplines and sectors gathered and discussed issues related to the Institution and the engineering profession.
- The HKIE Forum on Innovation and Technology Development was held on 30 January 2018 to keep members abreast of the Administration's strategy on the development of innovation and technology in Hong Kong. The speaker was Dr David Chung Wai-keung, Under Secretary for Innovation & Technology, Innovation and Technology Bureau of the Government of the HKSAR.
- The Institution took part in the Education and Careers Expo 2018 on 1 - 4 February 2018.
- The Institution joined as a partner of the Industry Partner Collaboration Scheme of the Vocational Training Council (VTC) STEM Education Centre. A visit to its Tsing Yi Centre was organised on 10 February 2018.
- The HKIE 43rd Annual Dinner was held on 16 March 2018 at the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre. The event was well-attended by more than 800 fellow members and guests. The HKIE Gold Medal, Honorary Fellow, the HKIE Presidents' Award, the Young Engineer of the Year Awards and the HKIE Innovation Awards for Young Members were presented on the occasion.
- A delegation visit to Cambodia was held on 19 - 20 March 2018 to facilitate members in gaining a deeper understanding of Cambodia in the context of the Belt and Road Initiative. The delegation had meetings with various government officials in Cambodia, and the Economic and Commercial Counsellor of the Embassy of China.
- A series of public events under the theme of "Smart Tomorrow, Engineers' Motto" Programme were organised in April. The Programme consisted of a STEM Exhibition, Smart Lectures, Project Site Visits, and the Opening Ceremony cum Prize Presentation for the HKIE Colouring and Mascot Naming Competition.
- From 7 - 18 April 2018, the STEM Exhibition was held in the Hong Kong Science Museum and attracted around 35,000 visitors.
- Four Smart Lectures were arranged at the Lecture Hall of the Hong Kong Science Museum on 7 April 2018.
- Four Project Site Visits to various locations, including the Happy Valley Underground Stormwater Storage Scheme; the District Cooling System at Kai Tak Development and Education Path at the Electrical and Mechanical Services Department Headquarters; the North East New Territories Landfill Site and the Combined Heat and Power Plant at the Alice Ho Miu Ling Nethersole Hospital; and the Express Rail Link Visitor Centre at Austin Station and MTR Gallery at Kowloon Station were arranged for public participation on 14 and 21 April respectively. About 150 visitors attended.
- The results of the HKIE Colouring and Mascot Naming Competition were announced and the prizes were presented at the Opening Ceremony of the "Smart Tomorrow, Engineers' Motto" Programme on 7 April 2018. The winning entries were displayed during the STEM Exhibition.
- A talk entitled "國家科技發展新形勢與香港創科發展新機遇" was held at The Hong Kong Polytechnic University on 24 April 2018. The speaker was Dr Tan Tieniu, the Vice Minister of the Liaison Office of the Central People's Government in the HKSAR.
- The second New Members' Reception of Session 2017/2018 was held on 11 May 2018 at the Hong Kong Club.
- The Kowloon City District Council paid a courtesy visit to the Institution on 14 May 2018.
- The HKIE Forum on Land for Hong Kong was organised on 31 May 2018 to enable members to exchange views on Hong Kong's land supply strategy.
- On 26 May 2018, a training and briefing session was arranged for the STEM Buddies of the HKIE Engineer Cadet Club Programme.
- Some members of the Executive and Council attended The 20th Annual Convention of the China Association for Science and Technology on 26 - 27 May 2018 in Hangzhou.
- A delegation of Chairmen and representatives from Divisions and Committees to Yunnan was arranged on 17 - 21 May 2018, with the support of the Liaison Office of the Central People's Government in the HKSAR. The delegation met with Yunnan Province Government and local engineering professionals.
- The HKIE Task Force on Women in Engineering organised the seminar on "Women in Engineering: the Journey and the Future" on 7 June 2018 to promote gender balance and women engineers' participation.
- The 43rd Annual General Meeting (AGM) was held on 21 June 2018. The theme for the Session 2018/2019 is "New Perspective New Momentum" (新視野 新動力).
- Organised by the Institution and supported by the Highways Department of the Government of the HKSAR, a technical seminar on "Design and Construction Challenges of Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge" was held on 23 June 2018 with more than 250 delegates attended.
- HKIE delegations attended the Seoul Accord Midterm Meeting (SAMM) 2018 held on 23 - 24 June 2018, the International Conference on Electrical Engineering (ICEE) 2018 on 24 - 28 June 2018 and the International Engineering Alliance Meetings (IEAM) 2018 on 24 - 29 June 2018. During the ICEE 2018, the HKIE and other three institutions signed the Articles to form the International Council on Electrical Engineering.
- From July to August 2018, a roving exhibition entitled "Discovering HZMB" was co-organised by the Institution and the Highways Department of the Government of the HKSAR.
- Phase I of the HKIE Engineer Cadet Club Programme was kick-started in June, with participation of more than 400 students. On 13 July 2018, a joint school talk was held at the HKIE Headquarters.
- Ten young members were selected as President's Protégés to shadow the President and gain insight into the workings of the HKIE as well as experience and networking development outside own working environment.
- The HKIE Connect: Happy Hour Gathering for Young Members was organised on 26 July 2018 to encourage young members' participation in the Institution.
- The HKIE Belt & Road Initiative Talk Series was introduced to give members deeper insights into different countries along the Belt and Road. The talk series started with the introduction of Hungary on 20 August 2018.
- The HKIE Presidential Address and Dinner was held on 7 September 2018 at the JW Marriott Hong Kong. The President, Ir Ringo S M Yu, shared with members the Institution's plan of the year ahead under the theme of "New Perspective New Momentum (新視野 新動力)". The HKIE Best Transactions Paper Prize and The HKIE Outstanding Paper Award for Young Engineers/Researchers were presented during the Presidential Dinner.
- To prepare for the Phase II of the HKIE Engineer Cadet Club Programme, a public speaking training and briefing session was arranged for the STEM Buddies on 8 September 2018.
- A Presidential Visit to Canadian Chapter was held on 26 - 28 September 2018.
- The second talk of the HKIE Belt & Road Initiative Talk Series was successfully held on 8 October 2018 with Mr Abdul Qadir Memon, Consul General of Pakistan in Hong Kong, presenting the development of Pakistan.
- Three briefing sessions to Scheme "A" companies were arranged on 9 and 11 October 2018 in preparation for the launch of the Scheme "A" in competence-based format on 1 April 2019.
- A Presidential Visit to the UK Chapter was held on 11 October 2018.
- The third talk of the HKIE Belt & Road Initiative Talk Series was held on 7 November 2018 introducing the latest development and related opportunities of Iran by Dr Mehdi Fakheri, Consul General of the Islamic Republic of Iran in Hong Kong and Macao, to our members.
- The InnoCarnival 2018 was held on 3 - 11 November 2018 at the Hong Kong Science Park to promote innovation and technology to the general public.
- The second HKIE Connect: Happy Hour Gathering for Young Members was held on 23 November 2018. More than 60 young members participated and gained insight to public relations and crisis management presented by Mr Ip Ka-po, former Executive Director of ATV and Mr Jeff S T Wong, former Spokesperson and Senior Manager of PR and Publicity of ATV.
- A Presidential Visit to Australian Chapter was held on 2 - 6 December 2018.
- A courtesy visit to the Wong Tai Sin District Council was arranged on 11 December 2018.
- The Task Force on Promotion of Engineering Profession to Schools has been working on a set of STEM Educational Kits for primary and secondary school students. The full set of the Kits will be ready for promotion of engineering to schools at a later stage.
During 2018, the Institution received 53 invitations from government departments and other organisations for nominations of the HKIE representatives to serve on their boards/committees. A total of 149 members were nominated. The HKIE also responded to 20 consultation documents issued by government departments, the Legislative Council and external organisations.
Mrs Monica YUEN
Chief Executive and Secretary