Hong Kong Engineer (HKE) is the official journal of the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (HKIE). This monthly journal covers in-depth articles on engineering topics and up-to-date news about HKIE activities, making it a must-read for all engineering professionals in Hong Kong. It is distributed free of charge to nearly 22,000 members, whom are engineers in a wide range of field, including consultants, contractors, civil servants and academics. It has become a trusted and invaluable part of professional daily life for engineers, whether they are HKIE affiliated or not. It is published on the HKIE's behalf by Printers' Circle Ltd.
HKE is the information cornerstone of the industry. Its editorial contents consist of the following:
Submission Guidelines for Editorial Contribution and Letters to the Editor
- The Dragon and the Beaver - an editorial column prepared by the Secretary
- Update - news of projects and engineering developments
- Letter to the Editor - readers' feedback
- Cover Story - in-depth feature of an engineering project or trend
- Business Corner - covers business issues such as legal or insurance problems relevant to engineers
- Law A-Z - definitions of legal terms relevant to engineers
- Research & Innovation - latest engineering research findings by university researchers
- Technology Focus - technological developments of interest to engineers
- Engineers and the Environment - addresses environmental issues, technologies and the role of engineers in environmental improvements
- Articles on Engineering Topics
- Institution & Division Activities - reports of activities organised by the Secretariat or divisions, such as the annual ball, workshops, seminars, technical visits, etc
- Notices to Members - an occasional column for publicising miscellaneous information such as member subscriptions, CPD requirements, changes in policies, etc
- Pink Pages - announcements of forthcoming events
- Acknowledgements - an occasional column for acknowledging the help of individuals in various activities
- General Information - a contact list of the Council Members, Division Chairmen, Discipline Representatives, the Corresponding Member of the Canadian Chapter and the Local Representative Co-ordinator
- LegCo News from Ir Dr The Hon Lo Wai-kwok - the Engineering Constituency's representative's update on his work
Hong Kong Engineer is the official journal of the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers. The monthly Journal provides a forum for the exchange of information on the latest developments in 19 engineering disciplines under the Institution's umbrella. Hong Kong Engineer welcomes the contribution of articles, technical and general, on topical interest relevant to the development of engineering and engineering practice in Hong Kong.
The quality of writing must be high. Submissions must be original and must not have been published elsewhere. The topic should be of interest to members and of value and use to the profession and the community. Articles of knowledge or idea sharing are also welcome. Reports of divisional activities are not taken as editorial contribution or letters to the editor. Separate submission guidelines are available.
Length and Style
- Editorial Contribution
Each submission should not exceed 1,500 words in length. Authors are particularly encouraged to submit photographs and illustrations to make the articles more interesting. However, the Editor reserves the right to omit some illustrations when page limit is exceeded. Articles should be written in plain English offering clarity and readability. Hong Kong Engineer is a professional journal of general engineering interest. Articles should preferably have a journalistic style and jargon should be avoided.
- Letters to the Editor
Submissions to the "Letters to the Editor" column should not exceed 400 words in length. No image should be submitted for this column. Letters should be written in plain English offering clarity and readability.
Submissions are subject to assessment by the Editor, Technical Reviewers and the Journal Editorial Committee. Comments from the reviewers will be forwarded to the authors to facilitate revision, if necessary. Once the articles or letters have been accepted, the editor may make changes to the style, readability and length to fit the style of the journal and space allocated.
The Journal Editorial Committee will monitor the development of discussion on any engineering topics. In an effort to maintain a balanced coverage for all disciplines, if submissions of letters/articles concerning the same topic become a growing trend, the Journal Editorial Committee may refer the topic to the Division(s) concerned to organise any suitable learned society activities, eg forum, technical seminar for discussion.
The Journal Editorial Committee reserves the right to accept or reject any contribution and the decision is final.
Articles are considered for publication on the understanding that they are original work and have not been submitted to any other publisher. In line with common publishing practice, the corresponding authors are required to sign a form transferring copyright to the Hong Kong Engineer prior to publication. All materials published in the Hong Kong Engineer carries the copyright of the HKIE. Authors who wish to reproduce illustrations that have already been published elsewhere must obtain the permission of the copyright holder. The Institution assumes that all necessary consent and permission for reproduction of all materials included in the articles have been obtained by the author(s).
Articles and letters can be submitted via e-mail or by post on disc or CD-ROM, written in Word or Rich Text format. Images sent electronically should be scanned at at least 300dpi and saved in JPEG format. All editorial contribution should be forwarded to:
The Editorial Office, 6th Floor, 52 Macdonnell Road, Hong Kong
Tel: 2524 7095
Fax: 2521 8583
An acknowledgement will be sent to the person who submits the article or letter upon receipt. This acknowledgement does not represent a commitment to publication.
HKE is the only magazine circulated to the entire membership of the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers. It also appeals to and is valued by a far wider audience than just HKIE members - being read and respected by engineers working in Hong Kong. The current circulation figure is about 22,000.
HKE understands the changing commercial needs of the market, and adapts to meet them. Accordingly, it provides proficient advertising and marketing packages, including:
- Display Advertisements - Advertise in the journal and choose from the many different advertising plans we offer to suit your needs.
- Journal Inserts - A fast and cost-effective way to distribute promotional leaflets and literature to a selected audience.
Advertising Rate Card of Hong Kong Engineer
To download a current rate card of Hong Kong Engineer, please click here.
For more enquiries, please contact our marketing director, Selina Tung, at Tel: 2562 6138 or by Email: email@example.com.
Job Centre of Hong Kong Engineer Online provides advertisers with the way of recruiting engineering professionals.
Recruitment Rate Card
To download a current recruitment advertising rate card of Job Centre, please click here.